[UCM LIST: Healthprofadvising-l] TWL: Health Status in the Valley

Erica Robbins erobbins2 at ucmerced.edu
Mon Mar 20 16:05:12 PDT 2023

Message forwarded on behalf of MiMentor:

Please see below for a new Together We Lead (TWL) series event titled TWL: Healthcare in the Valley. Our first event will take place on April 5th from 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM. We hope to see you there!

TWL: Health Status in the CV

Are you from the Central Valley and/or want to learn more about the health status of the region?!

We invite you to PART ONE of our three part Together We Lead (TWL) focusing on Healthcare in the Central Valley. This first event will feature Dr. Garza as he speaks about the current health status of the valley. From a public health lens, Dr. Alvaro Garza will explain the common diseases and inequities of the valley and highlight the healthcare/healthcare provider shortage that exists. Additionally, he will touch upon his journey to medicine and experience as a public health expert and leader.

Description of Speaker: Dr. Alvaro Garza

Dr. Álvaro Garza is a retired Public Health Officer. He is a public health physician with local, state, national, and international practice and research experience. His local service was with several California counties. State service was with the California Department of Public Health. National service was with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and international service with the Pan American Health Organization of the World Health Organization. Academic faculty service was with the University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine.

He serves as chair on the statewide advisory committee for the California Office of Binational Border Health and serves on the Board of Directors of the Latinx Physicians of California. He has served on state, national, and international policy advisory bodies. He is author or co-author of many scientific articles published in medical and public health journals. He has been a speaker at many local, state, national, and international scientific meetings.

His education includes a bachelor’s degree from the University of California, San Diego (UCSD), a medical degree from the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) School of Medicine, pediatrics residency and fellowship training at the UCSD School of Medicine, and a master's degree in public health from the San Diego State University (SDSU), Graduate School of Public Health. He is board certified in pediatrics and trained in medical epidemiology in the Epidemic Intelligence Service of the CDC.

Having immigrated from Mexico at age eight years, Dr. Garza is bilingual, bicultural and binational, and writes bilingual poetry. He was the editor and a poet of the ‘Latinx Salud Poems, an Inaugural Collection’ book of the Latino Caucus for Public Health of the American Public Health Association.

To register, please click the link here - https://www.mimentor.org/events/twl-health-status-in-the-cv

Any Questions? Please email Alexa V. at avalladolid at mimentor.org<mailto:avalladolid at mimentor.org>.

Thank you!

[https://d36urhup7zbd7q.cloudfront.net/a/ca4bd207-e187-496c-8201-660af149de65.png]