[UCM LIST: Healthprofadvising-l] JVMC Harm Reduction Conference Invitation

Erica Robbins erobbins2 at ucmerced.edu
Fri Mar 11 14:58:29 PST 2022

Message forwarded on behalf of Joan Viteri Memorial Clinic (JVMC) at UC Davis School of Medicine:

2022 Harm Reduction Conference by JVMC

Joan Viteri Memorial Clinic (JVMC) is a UC Davis School of Medicine student-run clinic. We offer unbiased health care to individuals who are traditionally stigmatized by our healthcare system - such as those who use intravenous drugs, work in the sex trade, or identify as transgender, as well as to their families. JVMC is located in the Oak Park area of Sacramento, and no one who walks through our doors is turned away. Feel free to check out our website: https://www.jvmclinic.com/

Our clinic is organizing a virtual Harm Reduction Conference on Saturday, April 2, 2022 via Zoom. We want to use our platform as UC Davis students to better inform people about Harm Reduction principles. Harm Reduction focuses to reduce the spread of disease and death from drug use. Some successful strategies of Harm Reduction include medication-assisted treatment, needle exchange programs, safe injection sites, relaxing restrictions on naloxone, and many more. These strategies have been shown to reduce overdose deaths, the spread of infectious diseases, and, in many cases, the nonmedical use of dangerous drugs. The remote conference will consist of Harm Reduction-related researchers and public health advocates across California. You can learn more at the Harm Reduction Coalition website: https://harmreduction.org/about-us/principles-of-harm-reduction/.

Harm Reduction is a philosophy valuable to anyone who is interested in medicine, law, social work, public policy, or simply advocates for the betterment of their community. At the end of this conference, attendees will have the ability to apply Harm Reduction in their daily life as well as their profession.

If you are interested in learning more about Harm Reduction, we strongly encourage you to attend our conference and hear from our wonderful speakers!

As the conference grows closer, we will be sending out a schedule of speakers and timings for the day. You can register for the event using the link provided below. In the meantime, please follow our Instagram and Facebook page to receive more updates about the event and to learn more information about harm reduction.

Please feel free to contact jvmchrc at gmail.com<mailto:jvmchrc at gmail.com> if you have any questions. We hope to see you on Zoom on April 2nd!

Registration Link:

https://tinyurl.com/jvmchrc2022

Facebook: