[UCM LIST: Healthprofadvising-l] Summer Health Professions Education Program (SHPEP)

Erica Robbins erobbins2 at ucmerced.edu
Thu Feb 7 15:36:27 PST 2019

[WesternU campus]

Western University of Health Sciences is honored to host The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation's Summer Health Professions Education Program (SHPEP)<https://mx.technolutions.net/mpss/c/1wA/jM0HAA/t.2ox/Uc5FbycjTkeahHf00trRPA/h0/dfsmPr-2FJq8A-2FKu6EHRYm9gOGbUw4mL9M635gozG9czo-3D> on our campus again this year.

As you probably already know, SHPEP is a highly acclaimed pre-health preparatory program hosted at 12 different universities across the country each summer. SHPEP’s goal is to increase diversity among the health professions to better mirror the patient population.

SHPEP is a 6 week residential program at no cost to the students. In addition to a stipend, SHPEP Scholars will receive up to $500 travel stipend, and all housing and meals are covered. The program will run from June 23rd to August 3rd.

National Program requirements include:

  *   Minimum 2.5 GPA
  *   Must be a current Freshman, Sophomore, or Community College student
  *   Be a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident, or an individual granted deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA) status
  *   Not have previously participated in the program

Preferred qualifications by WesternU

  *   Minimum 3.0 GPA
  *   To keep up with program’s curriculum, student should have at least 1 or 2 science courses completed
  *   Identifies with group that is racially/ethnically underrepresented in the health professions
  *   Comes from an economically or educationally disadvantaged background
The attached brochure and our SHPEP Website<https://mx.technolutions.net/mpss/c/1wA/jM0HAA/t.2ox/Uc5FbycjTkeahHf00trRPA/h1/0a6y55l-2BWghB64Q-2F75OF7Tbii63F1x-2F3QPExg5mpjtU-3D> should answer most questions but I'm here to help if there is anything you need.

Sincerely,

Helen Musharbash, MS | Manager, Educational Partnership & Outreach | Academic Affairs
Assistant Director of Service Learning, COMP
909-469-8277
hmusharbash at westernu.edu<mailto:hmusharbash at westernu.edu?subject=SHPEP%20Question>

Western University of Health Sciences
309 East Second Street, Pomona, CA 91766

[Western University of Health Sciences]<https://mx.technolutions.net/mpss/c/1wA/jM0HAA/t.2ox/Uc5FbycjTkeahHf00trRPA/h2/0a6y55l-2BWghB64Q-2F75OF7cI7qvyx7jLRU8veRA1-2FAq8-3D>