[UCM LIST: Healthprofadvising-l] MiMentor Event Tomorrow!

Erica Robbins erobbins2 at ucmerced.edu
Fri Oct 27 10:35:52 PDT 2017

Message forwarded on behalf of MiMentor:

We are proud to announce our upcoming event entitled:

Together We Lead (TWL): Social Determinants of Health The event will be held at CSU, Fresno  Saturday, October 28th from 8:00am - 12pm.

Who Can Attend?

This event is open to pre-health students, medical/graduate students, and professionals.

Why should you Attend?

To connect and network with healthcare professionals. MiMentor.org provides unique mentorship opportunities for pre-health students such as conferences, Mock Interviews for medical school, scholarships, and a lifelong pre-health mentoring community.

Overview:

The purpose of Together We Lead (TWL) is to effectively utilize mentorship as an avenue to provide social transformation and leadership development. Together We Lead aims to create awareness around the health disparities that exist amongst the medical field and our communities. Recognition of this issue will illustrate the need of future leaders to engage and transform these affected communities.

Objectives of the Program:

*       To understand various definitions relating to social determinants of health and examine their impact on our community health at local and state level.

*       To learn how to engage in and listen to communities affected by health inequities.

*       Diligently establish and enhance the network models to activate leaders to provide acute awareness of social determinants of health in medicine.

*       Establish acceptable intervention methods and policies to help diminish the inequities in local communities Dr. Tania L. Pacheco-Werner will be leading this event, she will be the facilitator. Tania Pacheco-Werner, PhD is a Postgraduate Fellow at CVHPI. She earned her doctorate in Sociology at University of California, San Francisco. Her areas of research include policy analysis, neighborhood health, intersectionality, health-seeking behavior, food and environment systems, and methodology. Pacheco-Werner has worked on numerous community-based participatory research projects that include putting data into action, and applying the social determinants of health to policy settings. She was born in Mexico City, grew up in the Central Valley and is a Fresno State alumna (B.A. in Sociology, Minor in psychology, Cross-Cultural Competency and Humanics Non-Profit Leadership and Management certificates). Her greatest passions are family and improving the lives of Central Valley residents. She resides in Sanger, CA with her husband Robert.

Join us!

Event Registration

To RSVP for this event visit: https://www.mimentor.org/events/1297131

Space is limited! Make sure to register early to save your spot. We hope to see many of you there! Light breakfast will be provided.

Share with your network!