[UCM LIST: Healthprofadvising-l] FW: Pre-Medical Surgical Internship Program at UC Davis Dept of Surgery

Angie Cendejas acendejas at ucmerced.edu
Fri May 21 13:37:31 PDT 2010

Please see below.

Thanks!

Angie

From: AMSA ARC [mailto:info at amsaarc.org]
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 12:48 PM
To: acendejas at ucmerced.edu
Subject: Pre-Medical Surgical Internship Program at UC Davis Dept of Surgery

Pre-Medical Surgical Intern Program  Summer or Fall 2010

The AMSA ARC/UC Davis Health System Department of Surgery Pre-Medical Surgical Intern Program is a unique opportunity for pre-medical students to work along side faculty, residents, interns, and medical students in the nationally recognized UC Davis Health System Department of Surgery.

Setting

The site for the program is the UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento, CA.  This 650-bed hospital is the major teaching affiliate for the UC Davis School of Medicine. The Hospital serves an area of tremendous diversity in both cultural and socioeconomic background. It is a Level 1 Trauma Center, the only Burn Center in Northern California, the only Children's hospital in Northern California, the only Transplant Center in Northern California, and the only such institution in inland Northern California.  It is one of the five busiest trauma centers in the country and has been featured in multiple television programs.

The concept of service to those most in need underpins the teaching activities in our setting.

The Department of Surgery consists of the below surgical subspecialties:

Trauma & Emergency Surgery

Cardiothoracic Surgery

Gastrointestinal Surgery

Bariatric Surgery

Neurosurgery

Orthopedics Surgery

General Surgery

Burn Surgery

Pediatric Surgery

Otolaryngology Surgery

Plastic Surgery

Surgical Oncology

Urological Surgery

Transplant Surgery

Vascular Surgery

 Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender.

Details

This is NOT a volunteering program. This is a mentorship and educational program where you will be interacting with physicians in the department of surgery. You will be working with them in every step of the way throughout their work: from seeing patients in the intensive care unit, to pre-operative, to bedside, trauma bay, operating room, clinics, and rounds. You will experience what surgeons and physicians do every. You will be part of their team and treated as such. This program is under the supervision and guidelines set forth by the Chairman of Surgery at UC Davis Health System.

This is a very unique opportunity, and maturity, ability to follow directions, being attentive and being an adult is imperative. This is a fast paced area where a lot happens, and life and death is on the line. Professionalism and maturity is a MUST. If you feel that you are not cap able of the before mentioned, please do not apply.

The surgeons are volunteering and enthusiastic about having you come, since all of them have been in the same position you are, so please be respectful to them at all times and honor them.

Pre-Medical Surgical Intern Quotes

"I commuted ~230 miles per shift as a Pre-medical Surgical Intern, the experience was worth every mile." -- James Wang

"There is simply no equal substitute for the level of access, exposure, and perspective gained from the Pre-Medical Surgical Program." -- James Wang

"This was by far the best hospital experience I've had to date. I'm excited to have it on my application!"

"Prior to this experience I really had no idea what was required of a doctor after med school. This internship has given me insight into the day to day excitement and challenges that a surgeon faces. I have seen some incredible things and now I know that I have alot to look forward to! " -- Charlene Pfeiffer

"The first time I was in the operating room and changed into scrubs I felt like I was part of the surgical team. I could imagine myself with a scalpel. Just being the operating room gave me the most exhilarating feeling" -- Alexandra Monrroy

"Being a part of the Pre-Med Surgery Internship program at UCD Med Center was an enriching experience. I learned so much about the practice of medicine and am even more excited about my future in medicine!" -- Courtney Frost

"I spent a year volunteering in a hospital ER and maybe spoke to one physician for a total of 10 minutes. As a pre-med surgical intern, in my first 10 minutes, I met and spoke to 15 physicians" -- Mattew Paranial

"All the physicians treat you like you are part of their team. We get to go every where, see everything, and learn a great deal"

"I am amazed in the time and efforts the surgeons take to explain procedures and what is going on. They also genuinely care in my future success. This is truly a life changing experience."

"The application, interview, and selection process was long and hard, but in my first 5 minutes at the hospital made it seem like nothing. I would go through it 100 times more to just experience what I have experienced."

"This is the single most important thing I have done in my entire pre-med journey."

"I have seen my future in medicine, and my future looks great!"

Summer and Fall 2010 Session
During this application cycle, candidates for both the Summer 2010 and Fall 2010 sessions will be selected. However, you can only participate in one session. For example, those selected for Summer 2010, cannot participate in the Fall 2010 session and vice versa. Be sure to select all sessions that you are available to participate.

Please Note: There have been some improvements made to the selection process and criteria. If you have applied in the past, make sure you review the new guidelines.
Time Commitment

The Summer session has an anticipated start date of July 7, 2010 and set to end on September 19, 2010. The Fall session has an anticipated start date of September 20, 2010 and set to end on December 19, 2010. You are anticipated to participate the entire time.

Please consult the application packet for more information about this opportunity

Make sure you download the ENTIRE packet and read it TWICE and understand it before you apply.

For information, Packet, and to Apply, visit:

www.surgeryintern.amsaarc.org <http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=48134426&msgid=391727&act=NRFN&c=522767&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.surgeryintern.amsaarc.org>

Application deadline: Sunday May 23, 2010 by 11:59 pm through online submission

Got Questions?

Please email: surgeryintern at amsaarc.org <mailto:surgeryintern at amsaarc.org>

Instead of watching Gray's Anatomy...Be part of it!

 Image removed by sender. <http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=48134426&msgid=391727&act=NRFN&c=522767&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.amsaarc.org>

 Image removed by sender. <http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=48134426&msgid=391727&act=NRFN&c=522767&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.amsaarc.org>

 Image removed by sender. <http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=48134426&msgid=391727&act=NRFN&c=522767&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.twitter.com%2Famsaarc>

                                                          Image removed by sender. <http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=48134426&msgid=391727&act=NRFN&c=522767&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.books.amsaarc.org>