[UCM LIST: Healthprofadvising-l] FW: AMSA ARC Officer Selection 2010-2011

Angie Cendejas acendejas at ucmerced.edu
Tue Apr 6 15:50:49 PDT 2010

Fyi..

From: AMSA ARC [mailto:info at amsaarc.org]
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 3:28 PM
To: acendejas at ucmerced.edu
Subject: AMSA ARC Officer Selection 2010-2011

AMSA ARC Officer Selection 2010-2011

We are looking for passionate, committed individuals who would like to become chapter officers. Deadline to submit the application is April 14, 2010 at 11:59 pm.

Currently the following positions are available:

President, Executive Vice President, Vice President of Fundraising, Vice President of Membership, Vice President of Activities, Vice President of Finance, Vice President of Records, Vice President of Public Relations, Vice President of Community Service, Vice President of Outreach, Cosumnes River College Coordinator, Sacramento City College Coordinator, Folsom Lake College Coordinator, Sierra College Coordinator.

Why Become an AMSA ARC Officer?

We are a nationally recognized chapter of the American Medical Student Association or AMSA, which means that your officer acitivity at AMSA ARC will be backed up and documented in the national headquarters. This will definitely help you make a case for your community involvement while applying to medical school.

Currently three of AMSA ARC's former officers are holding national pre-medical positions with AMSA. National officers are elected at AMSA's annual conferences by their peers; those who made the cut in the past ran on their community service and chapter involvement record (consequently, our alumni depended heavily on their AMSA ARC work to make their case on election day). There is no reason why you shouldn't be next to take up a national leadership position -- get involved with AMSA ARC to build an impressive resume!

The Annual AMSA ARC Pre-Med Conference -- planned, coordinated, and staffed by our club officers -- is a well-known pre-med event among admission deans from medical schools throughout California and the East Coast (check out the www.conference.amsaarc.org for more information on last year's event). Getting involved with AMSA ARC will give you the opportunity to work on the 2009 conference and make yourself known to the medical school officials who attend the event every year (some of our mainstay visitors include Stanford, Harvard, University of Chicago, UCSF, UCLA, UC Davis, UC Irvine, and USC medical schools, among others). All club officers have their picture and biography included in the event program distributed to all conference attendees and presenters, including medical school deans and directors of admission.

How do I Apply?

Apply online by visiting: www.amsaarc.org <http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=48134426&msgid=377880&act=NRFN&c=522767&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amsaarc.org%2F>  and apply

We will be accepting applications starting April 4, 2010.

Deadline to submit the application is April 14, 2010 at 11:59pm.
Selection will be announced by April 18, 2010 via e-mail.

NOTE: All applicants are required to do a brief 3-5 min oral introduction about themselves and why they want to become an officer on April 16, 2010 at 10 am in room Tech Ed 325. They will be judged by the AMSA ARC Faculty Advisor and current officers.

NOTE: You have to be a current AMSA ARC member to apply for a position. Please consult the section of this website for more information about joining at http://www.amsaarc.org/club-membership

Got Questions?

E-mail president at amsaarc.org <mailto:president at amsaarc.org>

What current and former AMSA ARC Officers say?

"AMSA ARC was the single most important thing I did in my pre-med journey to medical school. Without my work in AMSA ARC, I would have not been where I am today."
-- Current 2nd Medical Student at UC Davis Medical School, and former AMSA ARC Officer

"Being in AMSA ARC helped me when I transferred and received a full scholarship to UC Berkeley."
-- 4th year UC Berkeley student, former AMSA ARC Officer

"During my medical school admission process and my secondary's many of the questions asked about my leadership experience and service, which were all gained in AMSA ARC. During my interview day at medical school, the Dean of Admission of the medical school met me and talked to me and thanked me for applying to his medical school, and he appreciated the work we do for the AMSA ARC conference. He then escorted me to my interview and introduces me to the faculty interviewer, which I spend the hour talking about what I did in AMSA ARC and the work I had done. It was not much of an interview, because I was talking about AMSA ARC the whole time. The great news is that I received my acceptance phone call 10 days later from the Dean of Admission personally and how he wanted me to come to his school."
-- 2nd Year Medical Student at UC Davis School of Medicine, former AMSA ARC Officer

"I applied for a undergraduate scholarship last year, and it asked me about service, and I talked about what did in AMSA ARC as an officer from tutoring to the conference. I was granted an interview, and during the interview, I was asked questions about what did in AMSA ARC. I ended up receiving $25,000 scholarship for 2 years at UCLA."
-- Current 4th year undergraduate student at UCLA, former AMSA ARC Officer

"I applied for a very competitive summer program, and since I had already met the program director and did coordinate his workshop, I was encourage by him to apply. I was accepted into the program 5 days after I applied. I was one of 6 selected out of 1500 applicants from top schools like Harvard and Stanford, and I was the only from a community college!"
-- Current AMSA ARC Officer and ARC student

"My MCAT prep program, valued at $2000 was paid by my service to AMSA ARC. Plus, I received additional tutoring for free since I was an AMSA ARC officer. It saved me alot of money and time by not having to work to pay for the program and do extremely well on the MCAT."
-- Incoming 1st Year Medical Student at UCSF School of Medicine, former AMSA ARC Officer

"By only spending 4-5 hours a week for 2 years as an AMSA ARC Officer, I was able to build a wealth of extracurricular activities that served me well to learn, but to also talk about on my application for scholarships and medical schools. I was not able to do alot more, since I worked and have a family, but it was enough to help get into medical school."
-- Current 2nd year Medical Student at UC Davis School of Medicine, former AMSA ARC Officer

"I was able to get paid clinical research position by one of our physician speakers that met on a Friday and mentioned of my work as an AMSA ARC officer. Subsequently I was able to do research for my last year at ARC and 2yrs UC Davis. I have now 6 publications and was paid for all of it!"
-- Current 3rd year at UCLA School of Medicine, former AMSA ARC Officer

Email Marketing by <http://www.icontact.com/a.pl/144186>
Image removed by sender. iContact - Try It Free! <http://www.icontact.com/a.pl/144186>

Image removed by sender.