[UCM LIST: Healthprofadvising-l] FW: [HLTHPROF] February 22 - Application Deadline for Somos Hermanos, Fall 2009

Erica Robbins erobbins2 at ucmerced.edu
Wed Feb 18 10:41:50 PST 2009

 Dear Pre-Health Students,

This is a reminder that the deadline to apply for the Fall 2009 session of the USC Somos Hermanos Student Immersion Program is quickly approaching.  The Fall 2009 application deadline is February 22.

Somos Hermanos aims to reduce the health care disparity experienced by Latinos by increasing the number of bilingual, culturally competent health care providers in the U.S.  The SIP is a six-month language and cultural immersion program based in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala. The program combines intensive Spanish instruction, a comprehensive lecture series, socially and culturally relevant volunteer projects, weekly activities, and a trip to El Salvador and Mexico to ensure our participants gain the language capability and cultural competency desperately needed to serve marginalized, Spanish-speaking Latino populations.

The SIP targets students who have completed their undergraduate education and are taking time off before continuing on to graduate school in the health professions.  We accept students who will be attending graduate school for medicine, dentistry, nursing, psychology, physical therapy, public health, and other health-related fields.

The application deadline for the Fall 2009 Session (July through December ) is February 22, 2009.
Please note that the application deadline for the Spring 2010 Session (January through June) is also quickly approaching.  Applications for Spring 2010 are due on March 27, 2009.

For more information regarding our program, please visit our website at: www.somoshermanos.org <http://www.somoshermanos.org/> , or e-mail us at info at somoshermanos.org <mailto:info at somoshermanos.org> .

We look forward to hearing from you soon,

Elise Wach and Joe Herrold
Directors
USC Somos Hermanos
Student Immersion Program