[Enviro-lunch] Thurs (11/30): Christopher Martinez, "Morphological and Kinematic Evolution of Cichlid Feeding Systems"

Lixia Jin ljin3 at ucmerced.edu
Wed Nov 29 19:18:49 PST 2017

[cid:B77BAF10-C13F-4C5E-B63D-35B33FAC3FAF at attlocal.net]
Dear all,
Please join us tomorrow for our last speaker this semester, Dr. Christopher Martinez from UC Davis.

Christopher Martinez, PhD
UC Davis Chancellor’s Postdoctoral Fellow

Morphological and Kinematic Evolution of Cichlid Feeding Systems
[cid:2BC6AD78-F7DB-4C4C-B9F8-E001661C295C at attlocal.net]

Abstract: The feeding apparatus of modern bony fishes is a highly complex and dynamic morphological feature, and in this context, arguably few groups have diversified along trophic axes to the extent of cichlids. In this talk, I will discuss my recent and ongoing research, investigating patterns of morphological and kinematic diversity in cichlid jaws and its implications for the evolution of fish feeding systems. First, I will describe my work on evolutionary covariation in body and jaw shapes in the endemic cichlids of Madagascar, highlighting the role of the form-function landscape in regulating trait covariation. I will also introduce my current research, where I am using an innovative approach to evaluate feeding kinesis in a diverse assemblage of rift lake cichlids from East Africa. This work is providing novel insights on linkages between morphology and feeding ecology in fishes and the functional demands associated with capturing preferred prey types.
Biography: Chris is a UC Davis Chancellor’s Postdoctoral Fellow, interested in evolutionary mechanisms and patterns underlying morphological diversity in fishes. He is currently studying the evolution of feeding motions in African Cichlids.

When: Nov. 30th, Thursday, 12pm – 1pm
Where: SE2-302

Coffee will be provided and please bring your own mugs.
We look forward to seeing you,

Organizers for 2017-18: Nate Bogie and Lixia Jin
Faculty coordinator: Asmeret Asefaw Berhe